Various arts
Various arts > artistic museumes
  
عرض:‏ 
فرز حسب المرفقاتاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).
textتصفية
Glass Art Museumاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

Glass Art Museum

 

 

Address: 

The museum setting is at the Harrania village, Sakkara Road & Maryotia canal opposite to Cataract Pyramids Resort, Giza, Cairo, Egypt.

 

Website:

http://www.glassartmuseum.com/contactus.php

 

 

 

 

It is founded by artist Aida Abdul Karim seven years ago.  The museum seeks to promote aesthetic awareness of contemporary works of art derived from the Egyptian, Islamic and Coptic heritage.

 

The museum is set at Sakkara road, Mariotia canal opposite to Cataract Pyramids Resort, Harrania village.

 

The museum includes mainly the works of artist Aida Abdel-Karim and her late husband, a leading art glass sculpture Alkhnana Zakaria.

 

Source:

 

Glass Art Museum  


 

El Gezira Museumاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

El Gezira Museum

 

 

Address:

Gezira Ground next to Cairo Opera House.

 

 

 

 

     The Gezira Museum is regionally distinguished for its 4288-piece collection of wonderful items and exhibits which were confiscated in royal palaces. For instance, the museum has a big collection of Bohemian gilt glassware in the eastern style, enamelled glassware in the Islamic style dating back to the 11th and 18th centuries in Egypt, and a collection of Roman and French glassware copying the Islamic design.

 

     The museum also distinguished itself in the Middle East by exhibiting a variety of ceramics (Islamic, Egyptian, Persian, Damascus and Bukhary). In addition, there is a no less fascinating collection of ceramics produced by Graeco Roman, Russian and Turkish artisans. The museum’s exhibits also include a number of China porcelains made in different ages. On the other hand, the Gezira Museum has a big collection of tapestry and batiks woven by Coptic artisans in the 5th, 6th and 7th centuries. The invaluable exhibits also include Islamic tapestries and Persian carpets made by skilled weavers in Isfahan, Kharasan and Samarkand. There is also a 18th century’s Belgian Gobelin tapestry and 19th century’s French tapestry. The Mameluk crafts are represented by beautiful chandeliers, incense-burners and trays made in Egypt, Mosul in Iraq and China.European icons of painting and sculpture such as Renoir, Rodin, Delacroix, Monet, Degas and Robens, are represented in the Geizra Museum, which is situated inside al-Nasr Saray in Gezira Ground (presently the Cairo Opera House). the museum, which was built in 1936, was first opened on August 25, 1957.

 

Source:

 

Sector of Fine Arts – Ministry of Culture

 

Mohamed Nagy, Founder of Modern Egyptian Photography Artاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

Mohamed Nagy, Founder of Modern Egyptian Photography Art

 

 

Address:

Kafr Ghataty, Hadayek al-Ahram, Giza.

 

Tel:

3833484

 

 

  

   

      The museum commemorates painter Mohammed Nagy, who co-pioneered the Egyptian modern art after his return from Florence. Nagy lived in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria and traveled to Italy to study art. He had to return to Egypt prior to the outbreak of the World War One. Entertaining a radical attitude against classic rules of art he devoted himself to Impressionism. In his work he produced a blend of Egypt’s past and present. He was fascinated with Nature and murals made by ancient Egyptian artisans. His paintings are beautifully transparent, displaying powerful and elaborate compositions.

 

      Determined to complete his painting “Alexandria School” Nagy decided in 1952 to turn a plot of land he owned in Hadayek al-Ahram into a studio. He began to paint the monumental work in 1939 when he was the director of the Museum of Modern Art. In the wake of his death in his studio, the Ministry of Culture in 1962 paid tribute to the late artist by buying his studio and turning it into a museum. The painter’s sister Effat Nagy, also a painter, appreciatively offered 40 works to the new museum, which also received a large collection of sketches and the late brother’s memorabilia. On July 13, 1968 the Minister of Culture Tharwat Okasha opened the museum officially. Its exhibits increased significantly in 1987, especially after the Ministry of Culture bought larger number of the artist’s oil paintings. The ministry’s enthusiasm in this respect invited the painter’s devoted sister to offer more of her brother’s works to the museum, increasing the number of its exhibits to 1200.

 

      The Mohammed Nagy Museum was re-opened in 1991 after it successfully underwent a big renovation and restoration plan

 

 

Source:

 

Sector of Fine Arts - Ministry of Culture

 

 

Effat Nagy and Saad al-Khadem Museumاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

Effat Nagy and Saad al-Khadem Museum

 

 

Address:

12, al-Karim St., Saray al-Qoubba, Zaytoun district, Cairo.

 

Tel:

2583703

 

 

 

     

       The museum is a living memory of the two painters Mrs. Effat Nagy and her husband Saad al-Khadem. The couple, which enriched artistic life in Egypt, was married in 1945. Mrs. Nagy developed a burning passion for art when her husband, a pioneer of folk art and culture in Egypt, sought her help in his researches. Her drawings and paintings display her fascination with legends and fairy-tales popular in the Egyptian society.

 

      Al-Khadem died in September 1987 and his devoted wife died in October 1994.

     

     The 520-metre museum, which is a landmark in the Cairo’s district of Zaytoun, exhibits 198 works of art and pottery. The exhibits also include the couple’s private library, the titles of which include 15 doctoral theses and 26 studies for master’s. In a bid to enhance its role in increasing cultural awareness in society the museum’s officials organize seminars and soirées.

 

Source:

 

Sector of Fine Arts – Ministry of Culture

 

 

 

Mahmoud Mokhtar Museumاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

Mahmoud Mokhtar Museum

 

 

Address:

El Gezira Ground beside the Cairo Opera House – Zamalek – Cairo

 

 

 

 

      The museum houses the sculptures of Mahmoud Mokhtar, the most famous Egyptian sculptor and the first sculptor in the modern Egyptian art movement.

 

      Mokhtar (1891 - 1934), was a genius pioneer who revived classical Egyptian sculpting experience blending it with contemporary art movements and reality derived from the Egyptian society, particularly its rural community. 

 

Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil and his wife Museumاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil and his wife Museum

 

 

     The palace of Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil and his wife was built in 1915. Its eastern side overlooks the Nile and features the French art style of Arnoveau, which manifests itself in the metal and glass work at the entrance of the palace. The building’s western side bears the features of the neo-classic style, a blend of different ornaments. The huge mullioned window at the north side is particularly impressive. Visitors standing on the first and second floors can see the window, which is above the inner stairs and bears the signature of French artist Lucien Mette (Paris-1970).

 

      The ground, first and second floors of the palace are used as the museum’s gallery; the basement houses the administrative offices, the Library, the Information Centre and a big lecture theatre.The palace was the residence of Mohammed Khalil’s family and the seat of his invaluable art collection until 1960. In accordance with the will drawn up by the wife of Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil the palace was inaugurated as a museum on 23rd July 1962 bearing the name of Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil and his wife Emiline Lock.

 

 

 

 

      The museum’s assets include masterpieces of great artists who extensively contributed to the movements of fine art in Europe in general and France in particular in the 19th century. However, the majority of the museum’s 208 works feature the impressionist school, which laid the ground for the fine art movement in the 20th century. The great artists represented among the assets of Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil and his Wife Museum include Paul Gauguin, Auguste Renoir, Vincent van Gogh, Claude Monet, John Jongkind and Charles Francois Daubigny. The museum’s assets also include masterpieces of oriental artists such as Eugene Fromentin

 

      The museum also exhibits priceless collection of vases made in France, China, Japan and Iran, and a big collection of elaborately-made miniature works of art by Chinese artists in precious stones, crystal de Roch, emerald and coral. The museum’s exhibits also include large-size bronze, marble and gypsum statues by great sculptors of the 19th century such as Auguste Rodin, Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux, Louis Antoine Barye and Charles Cordier.

 

      Moreover, the museum’s exhibits include a rare collection of small boxes bearing the Japanese style.An ardent lover of art Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil was also a statesman, a cabinet minister and Speaker of the Senate. He played a big role in enriching the cultural movement in Egypt by sponsoring the movement of fine art after he co-established and chaired the Society of Lovers of Fine Arts in 1924. Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil also helped to enhance the cultural exchange between Egypt and France in the first half of the 20thcentury. His efforts and dedication were acknowledged when he was awarded the most prestigious French medals and awards.

 

 

 

Islamic Ceramics Museumاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

Islamic Ceramics Museum

 

   

    The Museum of Islamic Ceramics came into existence after the Gezira Art Center underwent a major overhaul and facelift. It was recommended that the Center with its new facilities and design should include a museum featuring masterpieces of Islamic ceramics from throughout the centuries. The suggestion was consolidated by the fact that ceramic art has a long history in Egyptian civilization, from prehistoric times to the present.

 

 

 

 

      The idea was conceived after the Ministry of Culture conducted a project to move works of art on temporary display at the palace of Prince Amru Ibrahim in the fashionable residential area of Zamalek to their original seat in the Museum of Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil and his Wife in Giza.  The palace's architectural design is a blend of Turkish,  Moroccan and Andalusian architectural features. It also bears impressions of the European classic school that was popular early in the 20th century and was applied to the architectural design of palaces built during the rule of the family of Mohammed Ali Pasha.

 

      A magnificent collection of Islamic ceramics is now the jewel of the beautiful palace, which overlooks the Nile in the suburb of Gezira, Zamalek. With its impressive Islamic architecture the palace, which was built in 1343 Hijra year, significantly adds to the beauty and splendour of the Islamic ceramics on display.  Moreover, the ambience of the place provides a cherished connection and dialogue between the visitors and the objects on display.

 

 

 

Museum of Modern Egyptian Artاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

Museum of Modern Egyptian Art

 

 

      The museum had modest yet ambitious beginnings, due to the initiative of Mohamed Mahmoud Khalil, Egypt's most prominent patron of the arts, and a driving force in the artistic movement in Egypt from the 1920s to the 1950s. The owner of a considerable art collection, he donated it to the state to establish a museum in his and his wife's name.

 

 

 

 

      In 1927, Mohamed Mahmoud Khalil, now with the title of Bey, managed to convince the Palace to form a fine arts advisory committee, answering to the Ministry of Education of that time; the Committee recommended that the Cairo Modern Art Museum be established to house the Ministry's collection, compiled from artwork purchased at the annual Cairo salon organized by the Fine Art Lovers Society, to exhibit the work of Egyptian and foreign artists. In the same year, the artworks purchased at the Cairo Salon were brought together in a small hall of the Fine Art Lovers' Society, based in Tigeran Palace in Ibrahim Pasha Street (now Gomhoureya Street), next to the YMCA. This small collection was augmented with a few more paintings and pieces of sculpture, after which it was eventually moved to the site of the old wax museum which had been established by Fouad Abdel-Malik, the secretary of the Fine Art Lovers' Society and patron of artists at the Mouseri family seat, on the corner of Fouad (now 26 July) and Emad el-Din (Mohamed Farid) streets, thus becoming the first building to bear the name of 'fine arts' in Egypt. In the period from 1920 to 1935, the number of artworks acquired by the museum reached 51 paintings by Egyptian artists, three of these by the artist Mahmoud Mokhtar, and 63 paintings by foreign expatriate artists living in Egypt. On February 8, 1931, the reorganization of the museum was entrusted to the Fine Arts Administrative Department. At this time, the first directory of the museum - now comprising 584 works of art - was published. In 1935, what was to be the last guide to the Fine Arts Museum was published. Issued in Arabic with a French translation, it sold for 10 milliemes, was 224 pages long and had 82 illustrations of selected artworks from the museum's collection. It was printed at the Amireya Press in Boulaq.

 

      Afterwards, the Ministry of Education moved the museum to new buildings in Bustan Street in February 1936. The museum's next home was the mansion of Count Zugheib, next to Huda Shaarawi's mansion at 4 Qasr el Nile street, near the top of the street as you come in from Tahrir Square. The museum's collection took up 44 rooms of the mansion, as well as the entrance hall, and numerous passageways. In 1963, the museum was closed down. The historic building that had housed it was demolished, along with the adjoining library. In 1966, the Egyptian works from the museum's collection were moved to a temporary home at Ismail Aboul-Foutouh's villa in Finney Square (now the High Dam Square) in Dokki; the foreign works were moved to the Gezira Art Museum. This, however, was quickly closed down, as the building's deplorable condition actually damaged some of the artworks in this collection, putting a national treasure at risk. The Egyptian works, placed in storage for two years prior to being moved to the Dokki villa, also sustained their share of damage; some were ruined while others mysteriously disappeared.

 

 

15th May Contemporary Art Centerاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

15th May Contemporary Art Center

 

 

Address:

May 15 City, behind the city’s municipality building, Helwan, Cairo

 

Tel:

5504998/5504576/5503777

 

 

 

 

     Due to its unique geographical position in Cairo’s southern district of Helwan, the May 15 Centre of Contemporary Art plays a central role in the enhancement of intellectual, cultural and artistic activities in the area. Further, the properly-equipped Centre, which was opened on December 11, is considered as a bridge between dynamic cultural and artistic life in the capital on the one hand and its sprawling communities on the other. It has workshops and studios (graphics-sculpture-ceramics-drawing, painting, textile and tapestry, glasswork, carpentry, etc.), which encourage youth talents and art admirers to come forward and experiment with applied art, its aesthetics and functionality.

 

    The facility also organizes seminars, cultural soirees, conferences. It has a cinema hall. Moreover, the opening of the Club of Information Technology has given art students and scholars a good opportunity to make the best use of the revolution technology, such as the Internet and multi media for reasonable fees

 

 

Source:

 

Sector of Fine Arts – Ministry of Culture

 

Prince Mohammed Waheed-Eddin Selim Museumاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

Prince Mohammed Waheed-Eddin Selim Museum

 

 

Address:

54 Teret al-Gabal St., next to Matariyya Sporting Club, Cairo.

 

Tel:

2502590

 

 

 

 

      Prince Mohammed Waheed-Eddin Selim was born on January 1, 1919 and died on December 19, 1995. His father Selim Bey Khalil was a commander in the Turkish army. His mother was Princess Showekar, great granddaughter of Mohammed Ali Pasha. She received the palace as a gift from Prince Youssef Kamal.

 

     After completing his study in Paris Prince Waheed returned to Egypt in 1939 and decided to live in his mother’s palace. The unmarried prince was known for his burning passion for traveling and buying auctioned antiques. The palace’s curtains were drawn after the prince’s death.

 

     The palace rises next to Matariyya Sporting Club in front of the district’s Metro station. The palace is surrounded by 4.5 acre-garden, in which rare palm trees grow with a fountain being in the middle. A hall floored with black, white and pink marble imported from Italy immediately draws the visitor’s attention as he/she steps in. A frieze with beautifully gilded floral patterns is all around the wall. The hall is opened onto four rooms, the first of which has a parquet floor and a door with a mirror. Its major exhibit is a large-size portrait of Mohammed Ali Pasha, head of Albanian Family of Mohammed Ali. The walls are beautifully ornamented with gilded floral patterns in the French style. A large mirror next to the door will also arrest the visitor’s attention. The second room has an external door with a mirror; its ceiling is ornamented with drawings in the French style. The room has a large-size mirror, a white marble fireplace also in the French style and a bust of Ibrahim Pasha. A grand chandelier hangs from the ceiling. The third room is allocated to the Prince’s study, which has a number of books in French. Facing the study is the dining room. The palace’s second floor has four rooms, the most important of which is the Prince’s private suite

 

 

Source:

 

Sector of Fine Arts – Ministry of Culture

 

 

Art and Garden Museumاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

Art and Garden Museum

 

 

Address:

Sheikh Marsafy St., Zamalek, in front of the Gezira Sporting Club.

 

Tel:

7373296/7373298

 

 

 

      Although the ancient Egyptian sculptor displayed his craftsmanship and skills in thousands of monumental works, certain historical and cultural changes frustrated efforts sought by their descendants to continue the ancestors’ creativity. However, the atmosphere changed favourably upon the outbreak of the dawn of modern renaissance in Egypt. Inspired by great sculptor Mahmoud Mukhtar and his monumental sculpture Egypt’s Nahda (renaissance), which symbolized the nation’s dream, a generation of artists stepped forward to create monumental sculptures. Nonetheless, sprawling urban communities, which minimized green areas forced the replacement of large-size sculptures with dwarfed ones to correspond with narrow art galleries. Within a bid to reconcile art and nature on the one hand and on the other hand enhance the viewer’s interaction, the outdoor Museum of Art and Garden was proposed at the park of the Gezira Art Centre. The site is carefully prepared to produce a coherent dialogue of sculptures on display, their bases and the entire environment.

 

      The museum’s exhibits include works by great Egyptian and foreign sculptors such as Gamal al-Segeny, Mohammed Taha Hussein, Omar al-Nagdy, Saleh Reda, Ahmed Abdel-Wahab, Mohie-Eddin Hussein, Owny Heikal, Mostafa al-Razaz, Mahmoud Shukry, Ahmed al-Setohy, al-Sayed Abdu-Selim, Abdu Ramzy, Tarek al-Komy, Sebastian, et al.

 

 

Source:

 

Sector of Fine Arts – Ministry of Culture

 

Hassan Heshmat Museumاستخدم SHIFT+ENTER لفتح القائمة (إطار جديد).

Hassan Heshmat Museum

 

 

Address:

24, Gharb al-Sharit St., Ain Shams Gharbiya, Cairo

 

Tel:

2502298

 

 

 

     

     Sculptor Hassan Hishmat carved a niche for himself as a pioneer and founder of an individual school of sculpture. Greatly influenced by the local environment Heshmat was the first Egyptian sculptor who cast mini porcelain statues, which were widely admired at home and in foreign countries in 1960. In 1984 the sculptor shifted his attention to small-size and monumental sculptures, and murals. Heshmat also distinguished himself by his impressive ceramics. His monumental sculptures, murals and ceramics are the landmarks of squares and institutions in Egypt and abroad.

 

     The museum is opened at the artist’s 1200-metre villa in Ain Shams district in Cairo. It was inaugurated in 1960 by the then Minister of Culture Tharwat Okasha. Its exhibits consist of 235 sculptures and ceramics. The artist wisely opened a properly-equipped workshop on the first floor. Eager to widen the cultural and artistic awareness of his young neighbours in the district Heshmat decided in 1998 to present the museum to the Ministry of Culture to expand its role in this respect Hassan Heshmat Museum

 

 

Source:

 

Sector of Fine Arts - Ministry of Culture